Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge PRIV.EBD File.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyz66

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2002
US
I need to compact my private store the problem is I do not have enough space to do this, is it possible to build a another exchange 5.5 server and use that one to compact the store and just return it back to the original server, I’m getting a lot of resistance from upper management they do not want to archive their old email so I have to find ways to keep the database a manageable size, some of them already filled their archive.pst file.

See csjoseph's post (10-757457). this goes into re-directing eseutil temp databases to other servers. this can also be done on another server not running exchange. See my post in the above thread, and\or see Q244525 which tells you what files you need to transfer to the other server. there are a couple of tips as well in the above thread.

Good luck!

Thanks, I saw your reply on the other post and I'm reviwing my options.

Review your event logs for overnight 1221 events, these tell you how much white space you have in your stores (seperate event for priv and pub). If you don't have a great deal of white space, an offline defrag isn't going to buy you anything except a headache and a lost weekend.

Further to zbnet's response, the 1221 event will give the worst-case estimate of available space. (i.e. the least you will regain after a defrag). Another option is to run eseutil with the /ms switch. this gives the best-case estimate of recoverable size. the actual value will fall between the two.

Dont forget that the edb file need white space to function. This is usually around 10 times the daily activity of the database (measured using transaction logs). Info for this can be found in Q195914. If the figure you come up with isn't that much, then dont bother.

We managed to defrag a 128Gb database down to 7.8Gb last week. This was due to job losses (deleted mailboxes), a severe audit I did and setting mailbox limits on the priv.edb. Sounds as though we had exactly the same issue as you. The worst users being senior management.

We managed to get around it by saying to them that exchange cannot be recovered in the event of DR** - not in the timeframe they were wanting. We then gave them an estimate of the cost of a new one (with licences, hardware and the cost of a full time employee to look after the increased admin costs). We then told them of a 'free' way of doing it, provided they conform. Although this worked, it still took them 18 months to delete mail. Regular hit-lists of offenders helps (they are usually at the top).

Good luck!

**I'm sure I read somewhere that Exchange recovery cannot be guarented for 5.5 if the edb file is over 60Gb.

We managed to defrag a 128Gb database down to 7.8Gb last week"

Holy S*iT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back