Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge performance issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
We are running metaframe xp 1.3 (?) with Windows 2000 and SP#4. This is a quad processor server with 2Gb of RAM. For my test, NO one is accessing this citrix server. I have run the same test on my laptop, where everything is identical (app, DSN etc). It is the same sql server as well, so that's not the issue.

On my workstation it takes about a total of 10-15 seconds to complete the login to Microsoft Dynamics 9.0.

On citrix, it takes a total of 157 seconds to complete the login.

Running memory or processor mons show ZERO activity so I know it is not an issue with that. I also no that it is not the sql server.

Is there anything else specific I can run that will either show the hard drive hanging etc? If I can rule out something specific about the citrix setup, then I can move on to SQL.

hmm, have u tried using Sysinternal's Process Monitor to check activity when you are trying to load the client. it might give you an indication of what is causing the holdup. Hope this helps.

I ran the process monitor and even after filtering just the Dynamics process, I have over 150,000 entries. Is there anyway of easily discovering the particular process is causing the slowdown?

What are these 150K entries you are referring to. Have you tried comparing your process monitor output on the Citrix box to that of your test laptop?

These are all the processes that the application is running (opening files, creaing, reading reg key etc). If I run the same process on my laptop, I would have to place them side by side in excel and it would probably take me a month or so to go over that many entries.

No I understand that, but is the samething occurring in your laptop environment? If 150K processes (I am assuming -- you didn't indicate what the 150K number refers to)occur at the server level then it would make sense that a logon takes this long.
Have you checked the Citrix knowledgebase in regards to your issue

Yes, running locally I have around the same amount (ie that many)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back