Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge log files 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnistor

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
RO
I have a Small Business Server with Exchange 2000 and my hard-disk is almost full. The log files from Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA are taking all the space. The situation begins to become critical. What should I do? How can I get rid of them?

hi,

Enable circular logging.

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
Expand Server, right-click the storage group that you want to change, and then click Properties.
In the Properties dialog box, click to select the Enable Circular Logging check box to turn circular logging on.
Click OK.

you need to restart the server. and then they will stop growing..you delete all the older log files..carefull backup the server before deleting.

Circular logging will remove these files but has its drawbacks - there are articles on these drawbacks. I would prefer ensuring you have good backups as this will also remove the files and will assist in a more complete restore if required.

I found this in ESM Help which does not recommend enabling circular logging in production env as already warned in the previous post by "hanmatjac"

"Circular logging is disabled by default. By enabling circular logging, you reduce drive storage space requirements. However, without complete transaction log files, you cannot recover anything more recent than the last full backup. Therefore, in a normal production environment, circular logging is not recommended. It is usually used for public folder stores that hold Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) news feeds, where log file sets are not required."

You best bet is to run and Full Backup of the exchange server. This will automatically delete all the log files that have been committed to the information store.

If you have circular logging enabled you also can not perform an incremental or differential backup.

Circular logging is only really useful when you are going to be restoring a database from a backup. Once the info is restored you should disable circular logging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back