Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge Increase in Excel File Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekGirlau

Programmer
Jul 29, 2001
AU
I have a workbook where the code copies one of two "template" sheets to a new workbook, copies all cells and pastes the values. The sheet is then password protected and saved separately.

The issue is that the master workbook (containing 6 sheets, 2 user forms and 4 modules) is 492 KB in size, while the individually saved sheets (1 sheet, no code, no formulae) are 1.29MB.

There are two logos on the sheet, but even after deleting these the file size does not decrease. I've checked the used range and there are no unused rows or columns that need to be deleted, and no links.

This problem only occurred in the last few days. The end users need to be able to maintain the format and formulae on the template sheets, and there have been a couple of changes in the last few days, but I can't see why the huge blowout in file size - any ideas?

Hello

Sorry that I cant provide a solution to this probelm but we appear to be having the same one. Have you found a solution outside of this forum that you just haven't posted on?

Cheers

Neil

Hello again

Whilst reading the following thread
Getting rid of excess rows in Excel 2000
thread68-338110

I found a solution to my problem it might help you.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Nope, already tried this one. I was eventually able to work around the problem by copying all cells in the sheet, pasting into a new workbook and saving the file. In fact my code now tests the file size and performs this procedure when the file size of the template exceeds 1MB.

The macro in question would extract data, then create a form from a template for each data record and save the form as a separate workbook. The problem seemed to occur only when the data source involved a couple of hundred rows, even though the data source was not actually saved with the form, and there were no links to the data!

I've chalked this up to the Twilight Zone [conehead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back