Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hubless network problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kell3625

Programmer
Jan 6, 2001
US
i need to know every direction in setting up a hubless network.. its for two computers w/ 2k prof. and winme.. i have a fast cat5 cable.. i need to know how to cut it up and rearrange the wires. also if there is anything else i need to know.. thank you. as you can tell this is not my area of knowledge...

Howdy:

You would be smarter just buying a Cat5 crossover cable.. Unless of course you have purchased the proper RJ-45 connectors and tool already in which case, you probably spent enough for a couple Cat5 cables.

Murray

dude my local computer guy charges .25 a foot with ends any way you want them. some pre-packaged cat 5 can be expensive.

You need a special crimper to put the connectors on Cat5. Don't know about there but in Australia they are horrendously expensive, you could buy half a dozen pre made crossovers for the price of one. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Killowhat:

So a 25 foot cable will cost you a grand total of 6 bucks plus tax.. WHOOPEE !!!! You might get the connector jaws for that, but I doubt it !!

Murray

actually i just bought 25ft. with ends for my sons xbox live. total cost was about 7.50 dollars. the rj-45 connectors are .60 cents each the computer guy does the crimping and he tests the cable.

Kell,

You cross wires 1 and 3, and 2 and 6 to make a crossover cable.

thank you =) sorry i haven't really replied to this.. but i'll cross 1,3 and 2,6 .. someone game me a fast cat5 wire thats why i'm using it.. to the other ppl that mentioned buying other things.. thanks for the help =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back