Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hubbing Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sventekkrishti

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
GB
Dear All,

A silly question i know but can someone explain to me what problems would occur if i connected a mini 4 port hub with the pc & sniffer that i want to monitor into a switch (normal port) without using a cross-over cable ? Would the ramifications be speed of connection etc ? Also, why a crossover cable ?

Thanks a lot.

-
Sven

Hai,

This will work without crossover cable if you plug the switch into the uplink of the HUB with a straight cable and connect the Sniffer and PC with a straight cable to the hub.

Only thing to keep in mind here is that if the connection is Full Duplex adding the hub will result in a Half Duplex connection. Ofcourse this will change the complete behaviour of the connection and will not give a correct image in your Sniffer.

And another thing is to disable the TCP/IP stack on your Sniffer so that you don't add your own traffic to the switch port e.g. ARP and that kind of stuff.

Hope this helps a little
Rboert Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM / CNX / MCP
Citee Education
the Netherlands

Were you exactly find it depends on your MS OS. Most of the time you will find it in the properties box of your network neighberhoud.
On XP right click on your LAN connection icon, choose properties and you are in the right menu.

Disable the binding TCP/IP,WINS, file and printer sharing and if it is there the MS clients for networking. Leave only the binding for the Sniffer Protocol Driver on.

Robert Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM / CNX / MCP
Citee Education
the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back