Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hub to a switch silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex16

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
CA
I am a noob... But you won't be waisting your time giving me an answer. The question is on hypothetical situation but I really need to know.
Q is: if I have a hub (4 port) where two of its ports are connected together with a cross over cable. Third port is connected to a switch and the last one has a pc on it. Now, How an stp on a switch will treat such a set up? Will the hub loop BPDUs coming from the switch forcing it to block the switch port?

Thank you!

NO! No, no, no, no, no! Do not ever do "two of its ports are connected together with a cross over cable!" Not unless you want to have major collision problems in your network! STP doesn't work on hubs - just set the port to portfast after you pull that crossover cable off. Also, do a show interface to make sure it's set to half duplex.

Now, if you are just doing this for fun (which I hope you are) the switch will NOT recieve it's own BPDU's. It will just receive collisions as it tries to send it's traffic.

If you were using a 4 port unmanaged switch.... well, you'd have a bridging loop and that would create problems that would hose your switch long before STP could realize what to do about it.

thanks!!! Sure it is just thought experiment. Me and my buddy had an argument of what would happened if this was done. Thanks for your answer. I ws just thinking that switch port would somehow know it's getting back it's own BPDUs and ignore it.

thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back