Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hub, switch, Patch Panel Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragen

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
US
I have a problem with a ssegment of my net work where I have a switch from the backbone whci hfeeds to a hub then to a patch panel. Some of my drops do not work through the hub but work OK when directly through the switch. I replaced the hub with a new hub and same thing. Any ideas?

The Switch is full duplex, or can be, the hub MUST be half duplex. If your end devices are hard coded to be full duplex, they will only work in the switch. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

If it work fine without the patch panel, suspect the PATCH PANEL!

He didn't say that it worked without the patch panel. He said it worked with a SWITCH and not a HUB!! ************************
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Dragen,

shot in the dark,... have you verified/ mapped the cable pair pinout of each port off of the patch panel to its opposite end. Ensure that there are no opens or incorrect wiring, e.g. 568A on one end, 568B on the other, etc.

KG

Jimbopalmer has already hit the nail on the head. If the drops work with the switch then the wiring is correct. The problem is with the half duplex nature of the hub.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back