Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hub or Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimbc

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2001
US
I hope someone out there can give me some advice. What is a better choice between the two Hub and Switch technology. If price is not the issue, what would you all recommend.

The reason I am asking this is that I've notice the price for a 24port hub and a 24port switch are very similiar.

Thank you all for your advice. [thumbsup2]

Brian

basically in general... switch is better in handling all the request and hub is just meant for maybe a small room with a few computers connected to the same flace plate but switch is meant for connecting a few servers and a hundreds of computers. Good luck

With a switch you get 100Mb per port, with a hub you share 100Mb across all ports.

Get the Switch, it will save you problems with contention if two PC's try to get to the same node at the same time.
Switches do a better job and faster too.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back