Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hub or Switch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nala1

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
Rather than spending a small fortune getting 2 network drops put in I was looking at purchasing either a HUB or SWITCH to plug the three printers into on the network. I'm just not sure if it's a switch that I want or a hub. Isn't a switch really just an "intelligent" hub? Do I simply plug the 3 devices into the switch and then plug the switch into the wall jack? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Yep.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

A hub is a layer 1 shared media device that allows collisions and has no traffic management at all, therefore slowing the network down.

A switch is a layer 2 device that manages the traffic preventing collision and loops, making the traffic flow smoother and faster.

As far as your second question, as Lawnboy says, yes it is plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back