Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hub network delays question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemole

Programmer
May 9, 2003
IE
hub network delays question

I am seeing minute level delays on a tcp-ip ethernet local network and seek explanations.
3 pc-s are on same 192.168.20.x sub-net and are connected to same hub. Ip addresses are numerical and static. Client applications on 3rd and 2nd pc will interact with server s/w applications on the first. The unexpected delays of communications likely exceeds allowed retries numbers / time-out defaults on the client apps, causing their failures.
The server and 1 client pc use Suse Linux 8.0 , while 1 client uses win98 os. Network card setup specifies ip addresses, net mask. It still has dns entries although these are not used in the tests (merely left, so as to avoid re-typing them later after tests).
Case 1 has no router but default gateway definition still set as if 1 were present. Case 2 has no router on the hub, and blank for default gateway in the pc-s networking settings. Case 3 has 3 pc-s plus 1 broadband router on the hub as 4th connection (the latter with crossover cable), and router's lan-side address as the default gateway 192.168.20.1 in networking ip settings of the 3 pc-s. That 3rd case did not decrease the delays. Netmasks are all 255.255.255.0 .
Will the readership here suggest what to do to bring access delays back from many many sec., to vanishingly small, and suggest what principles were at work here?
- - pipemole - - 3/11/2005;

OK, no one has jumped in so let me try.

If you have reliable connectivity (good and fast pings) but very lousy throughput (slow file transfers), suspect duplex mismatch problems. You call your network box a Hub, (hubs are ALWAYS half duplex) if it really is a hub, the PCs should be set to autonegotiate or half duplex (either is fine).

If it is a low end (unmanaged) switch, they should be at autonegotiate or half duplex but auto is better.

You can ONLY use the full duplex setting if you can set each end of the wire to full duplex, which requires managed switches.

If it IS a hub and it has a collision light, is it on all the time? Does it only go on if one certain PC is on?

If all 3 PCs are in the same subnet, the default gateway and router should not matter.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back