Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hub connections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've recently become the proud owner of a used 5-port Ethernet hub. 5 ports on the front plus an uplink port, no problem there.

But at the back, there are 2 D-25 female connectors labeled "up" and "down". The package also contained a cable about 1in long, with two D-25 male connectors at each end. The cable seems just long enough to connect the two female connectors at the back of the hub.

Why are these two connectors there, and should i plug in the cable for the hub to work properly ?

2nd question : I also find 4 DIPs at the back, each of which can be set "on" or "off".
What might they be for ?

Do you have the instructions for the hub? The cables are uplink cables of sorts. You plug 2 of these hubs in and installe the cable in the back from one to another and they are uplinked. This is used instead of wasting one of the ethernet cable ports in the front (In the front it would go from one of the 5 ports to the uplink port on the other.) MUCH better that way. As for question #2. I am sure they are settings for the hub but not sure for what. Who makes it and whats the model #. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Although I've never heard of such a thing, it sounds like the cable is for looping the hub back to itself if it's in standalone mode. The d-sub 15 connectors are called AUI interface which is an older standrad for 10BT systems. As Jim said, you're going to need to find a manual to know for sure what the cable and DIP switches are for.

Do a Web search on the manufacturer. If there's no manufacturer label, you might be able to back-track from the FCC ID here:
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

MasterRacker.
I am pretty surethecable isan uplink device for theback of the hub. I have several here at the office designed this way. As for the dips, yea we need a manual on that. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Jeff-- cool link.. I did not know you could track by that number :)

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Jim, I'm not arguing that it's an uplink. I'm just theorizing that this particular hub needs to be looped back to itself if it's not linked to a second hub. I could be completely wrong (though it's never happened before... ;-) )
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

No problem. I have a habit of arguing when its not needed. :) James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

This is NOT the original hub, but as an example, a Bay 102 (I have one to stare at) has 2 DB37 ports named cascade up and cascade down, and a 2 switch DIP for segmenting the 24 ports into 3 segments in a stack.

it seems unlikely one would want segmentation of a 5 port hub, but it is an example. Too bad we do not know a brand and model number. The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back