Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

http://www.yousendit.com/ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

garebo

Vendor
May 29, 2002
CA
If you want to send files to another person, you can use this site. You can send any size you want, although i break them down to under 100 mb at a time, that way, if there is a failure, you save time by not having such a large file to send.
All you need is the other persons email addy as usendit will email that person to let them know that someone has sent them a file. Its best to zip and password protect your file for safety sake, that way you know your data is safe as you email the receiver yourself with the password, that way, of course, no-one else can open the file. The file can be anything at all. I use winrar but i know winzip files work as well.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Does it cost anything?

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

totally free!!

And the URL, or does that cost $100?

Apoligies,
I see the URL in the subject line.

LOL!!! Good one Bill

Sorry, i guess i should have put the url in the body, so here it is:
I have been using it for quite some time now and its all I said it is. I dont see any downside at all, that is, if you simply zip or rar your file(s) and password protect them. That is what i do. I simply send the person an email telling them the file is on its way and heres the password for it.
The receiver gets an email from usendit with a link to their file, the receiver clicks the link and then clicks again and the file is downloaded to whereever they point it to.

The file could be anything. I can see this being really wonderful here, like if i was trying to show someone how to test their power supply for instance. I have a file with both text and pics in it that shows exactly how to do this.
All i have to do is zip it up and get your email addy and send it to you. A pic, as we know, can be worth a thousand words!!
Or even if you are trying to describe what something looks like. Instead you can send them a pic of it!

So this has to be a great tool we can all use. I didnt say that as i figured we would all realize the value of this website.

Oh ya, i forgot one thing. I didnt mention it as its posted on the website. The receiver has 7 days to download his file and after that its purged from the system.
Also, the receiver can purge the file right away after downloading as there is a button to click to purge the file.
Like i said, i cant see any downside to it, been using it for maybe a month now.

Nice find, garebo.
Thank you.

Bill

You're welcome, Bill.
I think it can really be helpful here, another tool to use.
But people can even send family pics to other family members, things like that. I know there are other sites that do that, but this one is fast and secure if done right!

I just remembered, the max file size is a gig, but that leaves a lot of wiggle room, a whole gig. Plus there is nothing stopping someone from sending parts of a file, long as its zipped and secure. In fact, i suggest people break them down if possible. The reason is that sometimes the file doesnt go thru and you have to do it over so if its broken down its a bit of a time saver. If you have 200mb to send and you can break them down into 4 x about 50mb then each one will go quicker and if you have to resend it wont take so long.

I have noticed that if you are sending you have to keep that web page up but if you are receiving you dont, you can even close your browser and still keep downloading your file.

So in all of this there are a few hints:

Make small file sizes if possible
zip & password protect them and email a password to recipient
When sending dont stray from the web page til the file is sent.
When receiving its best to go back and delete the file.
You have 7 days to download your file

I think thats about it. There are disclaimers and such of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back