Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP Server and Firmware for different model IP Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

telcomwork

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
We are including a new model of IP phone. We currently have 9620s and going to use 9608. I want to place the latest 9608 software on the HTTP server without affecting the 9620s. Can I just dump the new 9608 firmware in the same directory? Can they share directories?

Thank You.

They can share the same directories. you need to be careful however some Avaya firmware loads cover multiple phone types so you may end up placing new firmware for both set types unless you're careful.

If you run into that scenario and you don't want to upgrade the existing phones you could edit the upgrade file so that the existing phones use the old firmware files and not the new ones.

It's a hassle but it's doable.

- Miguel

A very wise and well respected man once told me "Shut Up!".

Thank you very much for the reply. So when I place the new firmware in just dump it in the exsisting directory with all the other files, or remove the old files adn install the new files?

OK will note to be careful with the upgrade of 2 verus 1. Thanks again

Well if you don't mind mixing the packages you can just dump it in there. It's messy but it wont cause any problems.

The way we handle it is to create a separate folder for each location. in the scope we point to the folder for that location and we only put the firmware for the phones at that location in that folder.

But it will work just fine putting multiple sets of firmware in the same folder so long as they can use the same 46xxsettings file.

- Miguel

A very wise and well respected man once told me "Shut Up!".

The 96XX IP phones (9610/9620/9630/9640/9650/9670) use different files, and a different upgrade file than the 96X1 IP phones (9608/9611G/9621G/9641G)

You can safely combine the files, as they have different names. They do not conflict with each other.

What they do have in common will be the "46xxsettings.txt" file that gets download to each phone.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back