Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP Meta Refresh -> 301 Redirect 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

Is it possible to perform a 301 redirect using a meta refresh redirect?

thanks,

1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

I read it cannot be done.
You can not send a 301 status code via Javascript or META tags. Since the HTTP status code of the page will remain 200 OK, most search engines will continue to think the location is valid. Any page rank of the old location will not be transferred to the new location.
As a side note, Google showed the above quoted page as the first hit when I searched your exact text '301 redirect using a meta refresh redirect'.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

I read the same but thought I'd ask you guys as I trust what you say more than I trust content on the internet ;-)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

If this is not possible and the website is hosted on windows IIs and you don't have access to IIS.

Would I be right in thinking that ther is no solution for 301 redirecting?

I've looked into SSI which could call a perl script but it seems that redirects the call to the perl script not the client.

the only other thing i can think off is setting IIS to parse the old .htm files through ASP and using VBScript, as ,ong as all the new pages have .html as their extension.

Unless you can think of a better solution?

Actually Both Google and Yahoo have stated that they DO honour meta refresh as a acceptable method of redirection.

A refresh of 1 and more second is equivalent to a 302 response and 0 secs is treated as a 301 response.

[link =]Jon Glick from 2004[/url]

Jon Glick from Yahoo was the last speaker, who will share the policies of Yahoo in terms of redirects. 301 is permanent and 302 is a temp move. A meta refresh that is less then 1 sec as a 301 and longer then 1 sec then its a temp move. I couldn't get the Yahoo! Redirect handling rules cheat sheet, but I will ask Danny to send me the slide so we can post it. He then goes into why rewriting URLs help.

If I find the matt cutts quote I will post it.

In addition Google also treats the rel="canonical" attribute of the link element as a 301 reirect.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks Chris.

i wasn't sure on 301 with meta and everything i found said no!

well aparently SEOLogic.com state
Another common mistake is the use of the META Redirect tag to redirect visitors from an old page to a new one. Search engine spiders do not follow META Redirect tags, so they should not be used. In addition, using the META Redirect tag forces your visitors to first load the old page, then load the new page, which is a drain on a site with substantial traffic.

Well that WAS case eight or ten years ago, which is when most of the prevailing wisdom of the "experts" hails from.

They are also wrong about a meta refresh being a "drain" on a "site", actually they should say server which puts a doubt on their credibility for a start.

With a short refresh period, the document is only loaded by visual useragents until the the meta refresh directive is actioned, the connection is then be aborted and the new location requested.
If anything, a .htaccess URL rewrite is more of a "drain", as that requires TWO HTTP requests to the server.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back