Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP hosting for files, not web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamjim

Instructor
Mar 17, 2008
US
I could not find a forum to specifically address this. I figure HTML folk might know best since we often shop around for hosting.

My company is looking for a HTTP or FTP hosting company that can store our software for download. Most discount web hosts like 1and1.com offer huge bandwidth but they have restrictions that the content must be primarily used for web pages (see sample terms of service below).

Can anyone recommend a decent host that allows 'file storage'?

1and1.com said:
You shall at all times use Web Site Space exclusively as a conventional Web Site. You shall not use the Web Site Space or Your Services in any way which may result in an excessive load on the 1&1 Equipment, including but not limited to installing or running web proxies, using your allotted space as online backup or storage, or mirroring mass downloads...

...I should note that we are looking for paid hosting, not the free file hosting where you typically must download one file at a time through a web browser filled with advertisements.

We have an HTTP or FTP update/synchronization tool that runs outside of a browser and compares our users' local installations with what is available on the server. It downloads any missing or changed files. This could mean 1 file at a couple KB or hundreds of files that add up to over 600 MB.

Try looking for an online backup facilty or alternatively something like Dropbox.

Failing that rent a dedicated server and then you can do what you want with it.

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back