Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML5 video formats for Firefox and IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphonzo

Programmer
Apr 9, 2003
GB
I have video running via HTML5, which is cracking on Chrome, but fails on Firefox and IE. I know video works in them, as the tutorial renders fine. Might I have converted the files incorrectly? Testing online at:

So many times I come across clients who want to just run video on their website and they are so resistant to using services as youtube and vimeo. Why? I don't get it.

Its cheaper.
Its easier.
And you control the output.
The only thing you really cant control is how the player looks. But creating a custom player costs money.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

I use YouTube and Vimeo a lot, but in this instance I need to run is as a page background. I'm not sure if this can be done as a stream from YT or Vimeo, but I am sure that the client won't accept it.

That looks like the business. I'll have a go later and report back, thanks.

Interesting, but it uses Flash player by default. I'll need to test fallback options out on all platforms when I get back in the studio on Monday. Thanks for the link though - it may prove to be a winner.

NOTE: I have no experience with this particular type of request but, logically (unless new tech has solved this), if the plug-in or video is not implemented correctly, it could render the site "unusable" - especially if requests (e.g. a refresh or form) are common. Using AJAX could help in this situation.

-Geates

This thread reminds me of the conversation I recently had with a friend. When I mentioned it to him, he replied:

We did something similar for We did a lot of testing with the HTML video element, but we were not able to make it a seamless loop.
Our implementation above was done with an extreme optimized GIF animation.

The HTML5 implementation we tried, was indeed with the bigVideo jQuery plugin.

Off Topic: Those birds you see in the background of the web site are from the west coast. I had plenty of time to study their insane dives lying on a beach in Cabo San Lucas, Mexco. Insane birds.

Thought I'd share

-Geates

Firefox should have no problem with Ogg.
if it is failing then either you have a problem with your file or a problem with the video tag itself

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back