Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML table resize problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilaishima

Programmer
Jun 16, 2003
ZA
I have a serious problem with an HTML table. I have a page where the user must be able to enter data in a textbox. I opted to use <div>'s and set the ContentEditable property to true. The reason for this is that I have to 'grow' the textboxes as the user enters text.

The problem is that I have a fixed width table and it resizes as my <div>'s go over to a next line (using the WORD-WRAP: break-word style attrib. I would appreciate any ideas on this. Here is the HTML:

<TABLE style=&quot;WIDTH: 645px&quot; cellSpacing=&quot;2&quot; cellPadding=&quot;2&quot; border=&quot;1&quot;>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style=&quot;WIDTH: 255px&quot;>Please enter the text here:</TD>
<TD style=&quot;width: 350px&quot;>
<DIV ContentEditable=true style=&quot;width: 250px; WORD-WRAP: break-word&quot;></DIV>
</TD>
<TD style=&quot;width: 40px&quot;> </TD>
</TR>
</TBODY>
</TABLE>

Actually you have a couple of more serious problems:
[ol]
[li]ContentEditable only works with IE[/li]
[li]How are you going to capture the text when the user has entered it?[/li]
[/ol]
For both these reasons I'd recomment you use a <textarea> tag instead. That said, your <div> approach seems to be working fine for me on IE6, insofar as it doesn't resize the table horizontally as the <div> fills up.

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

The real world's OK for a visit, but you wouldn't want to LIVE there!

Thanks ChrisHunt

I have also tested it and found that it does infact work correctly if you have at least one space in a line of text entered.

What I am developing is an intranet application and all the users use IE, so that furtunately is not an issue.

As for the <div>s, I can access the text entered by passing the innerText of the <div>s if I pass the values with Javascript. The problem is that I use ASP so I submit a form and when doing this the innerText of <div>'s do not get passed.

I opted for the <div>s instead of <textarea>s because I need all the entered text to be displayed on the screen for printing capabilities.

I have found a way - thanks Chris.

Opted for Textareas like you suggested for there is no way of submitting the values of a div with a form. I just used the same word-wrap attribs and could then also remove the contenteditable property from the elements.

Rolf Hansen
Cloudy Apple Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back