Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

html signature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
I've created my own signature for outgoing mail in outlook express 5.5. I created it in Word 2000, and saved it as a html file. I then went to the Tools/Options/Signatures tab in outllok express, and selected the new html signature to use. Now when I click New Mail to compose a message, I get an error saying :

WARNING ! Your signature file is too large. It has been TRUNCATED, please make it smaller.

What are the limits I've exceeded, or what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance
kwunder

Jay,
The html page that I created in Word 2000 is just 4.12 kb. !!!! There is an image contained. After I click to close the error messages, The new mail opens for me to type the message, and the text part of the html signature IS displayed, but the image is shown only as a box with a small x in the top left corner. The image is in the same folder as the signature, but it doesn't display.

Any ideas?
kwunder

I think the problem is not the size of the file, I think its just the pic, Ive never put a pic in my sig (through Exchange) but that could be the problem, as your email is temp on the Exchange server, and your pic is saved on your hard disk, when you go to send the email, right click on the box with the 'x' on it and see what the location of it should be, if its something like outbind//3/asl_images/pic.jpg or something similar, than thats your problem, take out the pic and see if that works. Or even try put it in the word doc as a gif. Or, what I think might work, save the sig as a .doc first, so the pic is embedded, then open it again and save it as a HTML???
Worth a shot!! Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Jay,
I started from scratch and created a new signature in Word. Now I can't get any of it to display. When I double click on the html file I've created, it shows perfectly OK.
I can't right click on the missing image now as NONE of the signature is showing.

I must be doing something wrong
kwunder

Jay,
I just closed OE and restarted. Then selected a simple text signature, then went back to select a file for the signature, and selected the html page I created. It showed OK, with no errors, but also still minus the image.So, I right clicked the missing image and checked the location. It showed the location where it is stored on my hard drive.

Any ideas ?
kwunder

When you say that you have nothing there to display, do you still get an error message?? Could be that the signature is not created properly? When composing a mail, goto Insert->Signature and select it from there and see if it appears...? If you get the error message, go to Tools and Options and delete all signatures, even the HTML files that you created, or at least rename them to .old or something so that you dont loose them. Then create a simple one line signature NOT using MS Word, but the wizard that is in Outlook when you are creating a signature by going to Signature Picker, New, and dont use the option for Use File as template. If that works you can also try and put in a picture by Editing it, and right click in the body of it and Insert->Picture. Jay~

~KeyTech

No...there is no error message now, but no image. When I try to go the insert>signature way, the signature bit is greyed out. Unfortunately, there isn't a signature wizard in Outlook express, or at least I can't find one. You just get the option of creating a text signature, or to use a file of your own, which is what I was doing.

kwunder

Strange that the Signature bit is greyed out?? Sorry but I there is no such thing as a Signature Wizard, I meant using the standard text editor, and in there right click on the text body and go Insert->Image.....
If you there is no error, but no image, is there a box with an 'x'?? If so right click on it and properties to see the file location that I mentioned in a previous post... Jay~

~KeyTech

Yep, there is a box with an "x" in, when I right click it and go properties, the location comes up as where it actually is on my hard drive.

When I try to create the signature in another text editor, and embed the picture, I get an error from OE saying that it is not a valid text file"

kwunder

Where you trying to create it in something like Notepad?
If so, just create a signature in this way,
go to Tools->Options..bla bla...Signature Picker.
Then go to New, give it a name, and Start with a blank Signature, then click on next. You should get a window where you can enter text to the signature, in here, dont use an advanced editor. Just type in the basic text, and in the text window, right click and Insert->Image.
Then click on Finish when you are done.
Then start a new mail and see what happens there.. Jay~

~KeyTech

When I right click in the text window, there is no Insert option. ?

hhmmm??? Im using Outlook2k, maybe thats why...??
Well right now I cant think of much more, and as Im in Ireland, its 6pm. and well past home time!!! I will have a think anyway and I will be online at home, so I will post again soon enough...
What I think right now is that its a problem with Outlook, because there is no other 'options' to turn on or off etc, so maybe a reinstall of OE would do the job?? Its up to your self....oh you may want to try and delete all your tmp files, delete old mails, and for the moment disable any Virus Software that you may have running??? just to elimimate some causes........
good luck! Jay~

~KeyTech

thanks Jay,

I'll have another crack at it. I'll be on;ine for a while if you do think of anything.

Cheers
kwunder

kwunder,

I'm sure you've probably already checked this, but is the message format set to "HTML"? You may still have it as "Outlook Rich Text Format" which might be why the picture won't display.

cdogg,
Yes. The mail sending format is set to html

kwunder

Jay,
I checked the html that WORD2000 had generated this morning, and it was showing a strange route to the image file (it had %20 and other characters in the path) so I changed the html to show the conventional path (C:\windows etc). It worked !!!
Only trouble is i still get the "WARNING ! Your signature file is too large. It has been TRUNCATED, please make it smaller." error when I click New Mail, even though when I close the error box, the signature shows up how I want it to !

Any ideas on that score?

kwunder

guess what!!! the limit of a Signature is 4.0kb!!!!
Nasty!! and this applies to MS Outlook EXPRESS! no wonder my Outlook 2k wasnt giving the error!!
The only solution is to make it smaller by .12kb!!!!!!

I'll check the reg at home as I have both OE Express and 2k....and see if the setting is in there somewhere that you can make larger than 4kb Jay~

~KeyTech

Jay,
MARVELLOUS !! I have lost most of my hair today trying to figure this one out. I will make a smaller signature, but if you do find how I can alter the max level, that would be brilliant.

Thanks for your time Jay

kwunder s-)

kwunder,
just to let you know, Im still workin on the over 4.kb problem, not sure if there is a setting in the reg or if its written into the .exe itself??? all I could find in the reg was this....
HKEY_USERS\Jason\Identities\{E47EBD0F-54D7-11D4-A667-B4A565C94A3C}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\signatures
with folders 000000 and 000001 and 000002 being your signatures, if you have 3 signatures you will have 3 of those folders.....
there is 1 value that you can change, its set to 2, and when you change it to 1 or 0 (or anything else) it doesnot appear when you insert a signature.....

I wont let it beat me!!!!! Jay~

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back