Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML: Refresh Page without the flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpionkingct

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2012
US
We have this ASP page that is using this code
, problem is we display this on 8 monitors and the screen flickering is intense when calling back the page, how to prevent or stop this easily, i heard of AJAX and other commands, but want something easy to implement. The 42 inch monitors screen refresh rate is at 60 hertz, and cannot be changed. Any thoughts?

<noscript>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="15">
</noscript><script language="JavaScript1.1">
var sURL = unescape(window.location.pathname);
function doLoad()
{
setTimeout( "refresh()", 10*1000 );
}
function refresh()
{
window.location.replace( sURL );
}
//-->
</script></head>
<body onload="doLoad()">

There is no language attribute for the <script> element

It should be <script type="text/javascript">

Using the 15 second META refresh will be enough, why on earth do you have BOTH a resource draining javascript timer refresh AND a meta refresh.

That will probably be the cause of the "flicker" Especially should they coincide.

And why the window.location.replace(), surely window.reload would suffice.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

so what are u suggesting i change, just use this and take out meta refresher code?
<script type="text/javascript">
var sURL = unescape(window.location.pathname);
function doLoad()
{
setTimeout( "refresh()", 10*1000 );
}
function refresh()
{
window.location.replace( sURL );
}
//-->
</script></head>
<body onload="doLoad()">

Nope, take out the javascript and keep the meta refresh, with the ls each iteration of the timeout loop will tieup a bit more of the available resources.

For this kind of thing, it's called a "kiosk" operation BTW, javascript is best avoided because it will "bog the browser down" after a few minutes.

I set something similar up for the company reception area when I was a "wage slave" using four pages and rotated through them using a meta refresh on each page. P1 refreshed to P2, P2 refreshed to P3 and so on. P4 then refreshed back to P1, and the loop continued. The system ran all day long, the PC was sat in the server rack connected to a four port VGA splitter/amplifier and we had a timer that shorted the motherboard power pins to start up and shut down the machine.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back