Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML "Next Page" script

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimshades26

Technical User
May 10, 2002
US
I've written pages in HTML and want the user to be able to press a "next page" button to see the each html page within the folder. Instead of hardcoding a link to each subsequent page in file I'd like the button or script to automatically go to the next html file in the folder. This would allow me to rearrange inbound links to the page without the pages appearing out of order, and eliminate coding error.
Ideas?

so....
When user clicks on detail within a category a detail html page renders. Instead of user going back to "view all" I want user to be able to click through the detail pages one at a time if they choose.

Thanks in advance.
slimshades26

ss26

You'll need some type of scripting language as HTML alone cannot do this.

You could attempt to do this in Javascript if you have a list of the pages.

You could do this with some server side script like PHP or ASP etc..
This would be my suggestion, as you could code it such that any modifications to the files in the folder would be automatically added on to the page list without any user intervention. This is done by having the script read the directory contents on the fly.

For more specifics you can post in the forum for the language you choose, and that your webserver supports.

forum216
forum434
forum333

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thank you. Yes, I figured it would be a java script. Didn't know if it could be done though. I'll post in JavasScript forum as I'm already using some snippets in these pages already. Thanks for response.

ss26

With client side javascript you can't get a list of server files.
You would either need to have a file on the webserver that contains a list of the files you want to load, read that and then set the navigation or use (probably the best option) server side code to build your navigation dynamically.. ASP, .Net, php, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back