Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

html gets cut off when I upload to ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
I have a wierd problem that keeps happening to me and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

On a plain html page, let's say for example - I test it on my test server and it looks fine.

I upload it to my ISP and sometimes (not everytime) the page shows up as being incomplete - i.e. it may be missing the last paragraph or two.

It's like the remote server stops reading the page after a certain number of characters - i notice that often times the page on the remote server cuts off, exposing a single tag like <td .

I can usually (but not always) fix it by making cutting off the portion of the file that was missing, place it in a text file, and then do an include at the point where I cut it off in the original file. If I then upload these two files to the web server, then the page will display correctly.

I shouldn't have to do this should I? - and it only works like 75% of the time. Right now some of my web pages are missing their footers, and I just can't figure out why, b/c they diplay fine for me in both netscape and IE, running a test environment on IE5 using windows2000.

SC

Q: Why is my computer doing that?
A: Random Perversity of Inanimate
Objects

You definitly should not have to do that.
How are you uploading them, you using an FTP program or through IE ftp or how?
Do you need to specify the mode in which they are uploaded, ascii, binary? just guessing.
Have you asked your ISP about it?

É
::

i'm using a freeware FTP program - do you think that could be the problem?

I'm not sure , but I think it automatically specifies what mode to use when things are uploaded.

This ISP (not my choice, forced to use thru company) is like a dinosaur. Anything you ask them gets lost for 3-4 weeks, and then someone who has no idea about anything calls you back and says &quot;oh... i don't know.... we'll call you back..&quot; and then never does. - so they're almost no help at all.

Objects

Hi,
using a freware is not the problem. Most of these freewares CuteFtp etc etc allow you to specify what mode it should be uploaded in. Just double check have you changed any settings.
I am not even sure if this makes a difference as I have never encountered this problem.

Could there be anything in your HTML which might be causing a problem? Any javascript errors or anything?

É
::

no - everything works fine on the page - no errors at all, at least on what shows of it.

If you go to one of my sites and click on contact us or pool notes, you'll see that the footers, that show the address of the company and two blue horizontal rules are missing. They show up on the other pages, and they show fine on my test server. - if you do see them, let me know, maybe it's some setting on my browser.

If you view the source, you will in fact see that the html is there, but it's just not being displayed, which is puzzling.

yesterday, it would just rudely cut off in the middle of the page, leaving tags displaying - today it's behaving differently, but still not the way it's supposed to.

whaddy make of that ???????? Q: Why is my computer doing that?
Objects

ps - if you go to this site, you will also notice the title (in blue) of the organization looks like the bottom is getting cut off - i don't know why, because on my test server, it looks fine - i've tried 3 or 4 different ways to fix it, but to no avail. I think it might have something to do with the layering.

Objects

You said that your developing in a Win2k environment, is your ISP also IIS or unix based? sometimes the translation of text files from DOS to unix is not so great and results in some extra hidden characters in the html.

yes, i believe they are IIS based, but I could double check that. Q: Why is my computer doing that?
Objects

Have you tried a friend's computer and ISP to try the upload?

I use FrontPage and have downloaded so many tweaking programs that one particular server I would publish to, FrontPage would show everything going OK but then bomb out saying something about &quot;timed out&quot;. But on another computer here it would publish OK. The size or the number of items to publish did not make a difference.

Another smaller Web site, FrontPage would publish it just fine.

I have since loaded Windows 2000 on a new partition and FrontPage will publish OK.

So it could be your computer and the server are having a problem talking to each other and you are not getting back any error messages letting you know. If your pages transfer on a friend's computer, then you know it is yours and not your code and provider.

no i haven't tried that, although now that I've checked it out, I notice that I have had a similar problem working on two other sites that use a completely different ISP's.

I guess this would lead me to believe it's something on my end.

Again, If you go to you'll notice that the last paragraph gets completely cut off.

I think i mistakenly posted that if you hit view/source, all the HTML is there - it in fact is NOT - it's like it arbitrarily cuts off the rest of my file.

My FTP software company offers an enhanced version that allows you to edit the HTML right on the website. Maybe I ought to consider paying for the upgrade.

Does anyone have experience with this feature? Do you think it might work?

Objects

well, I found a workaround - I downloaded a test version of the above mentioned FTP software that allows you to edit html and asp right on the live web server. I was able to just cut/paste the missing code, and presto! it works.

Still can't figure out why it does this in the first place, but now at least I have a way to deal with it. Q: Why is my computer doing that?
Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back