Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTML data import into Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

hargy

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
I am currently working on a project to audit a large number of PCs using a piece of software called Belarc Adviser.

Belarc Adviser provides the detail of each individual PC audit as an HTML page. The problem I have is how to get this HTML data into MS Access 2000. The data produced is not tabular and so some fields are displayed

field 1 value1
field 2 value2
field 3 value3 ...

whilst others are

field 1
value1
value2
value3

A straight import of the data into Access has not been successful and will be complicated.

I understand the problem, just not how to do this in Access. My thought had been to use an intermediary (such as Excel) to import the data, reformat each html page such that a summary table of all results can be produced and imported into Access. This seems longwinded and I believe that this can be completed entirely within Access.

The problem has 2 key parts

1. I will have 450 html pages to import from directories labelled by the location of the PC. How can I complete a multi import of html data into Access preferably as a single table or automate the process such that I can import all html pages from a single directory into the summary table.

2. How do I reformat the data such that I remove the irregular html formatting. How do I allow for the number of values associated with a field changing. Testing could be completed with Bold values signifying the next field, but blank lines appear all over the place.

It may be that my order is wrong above and that 2 should be considered before 3 as it would probbaly be a good idea to reformat the data prior to importing it into a summary table.

Due to time constraints, I would really appreciate any help that can be given

Hargy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back