Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

htaccess wordpress is causing problems with directory security

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcNJ

Technical User
Jul 31, 2004
US
I'm on a shared hosting provider (that provides me with cPanel), and have recently installed WordPress in my root public_html directory. As a result, my .htaccess has been modified with the following code:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

This seems to have broken directory security, as I have a directory that I secured using the "Password Protect Directories" options in cPanel. It seems that when you do this, the directory is hidden from view and only accessible if typed directly...and this is causing the above entries in htaccess to not see that directory (I think) and therefore pass me on to WordPress for a 404 error. Any way to fix this? (I might be wrong on my assumption above, but I am definitely sure that if I un-password protect the directory, I can access it, and when I re-password protect it, I can't access it anymore and get a WordPress 404 error). Thanks for any help!!

- Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back