Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HSRP setup for Two routers one Stack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airis47

Technical User
Feb 2, 2015
GB
Hello All

I am trying to setup a small infrastructure for a warehouse that is needing to have some redundancy.

I have two Router that are connecting into one Stack of switches.

The Switches are to be given an IP address of 10.10.10.200

with the primary router being 10.10.10.2 and the secondary 10.10.10.3

They need to have a VIP set up to being 10.10.10.1 were the switch will point to, so that should one router go down the other takes over. I do not want to spread the load between the two routers but have it going to the primary if that is the one that is up or the secondary should that be the one that is up.

I am unsure how to do this and have been looking over some Cisco forums and answers in regards to this and have been unable to do this. Could anyone be kind enough to offer some aid in regards to this

Many thanks

router 1
ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1
standby 1 priority 110
standby 1 preempt

router 2
ip address 10.10.10.3 255.255.255.0
standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1
standby 1 preempt

thanks that really helped me get started

much appreciated

Keep in mind the config listed will only watch for router failover, not link failure. To look for a link failure, you need to "monitor" the links
R1
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description Connection to datacenter
ip address 10.1.212.252 255.255.255.248
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
standby 1 ip 10.1.212.254
standby 1 priority 105
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 track GigabitEthernet0/1.101

One router has a priority of the default and the other has something that decrement lower when it fails to trigger the failover.

In this case, the default is 100 and the decrement is 10 so the 105 would decrement to 95 which is less than 100 and trigger the failover when Gi0/0 fails.

To be even more sophisticated you can use IPSLA to actually monitor the far end via ping or monitor the route and use this as a trigger for failover. I had to do with when installing a pair of routers with coper to fiber converters. The converter would keep the router interface in an UP/UP state even if the fiber failed.. not a good thing. IPSLA allowed to me to ping the far side and if the fiber went down, to force a failover even though the interface said it was UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back