Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HSRP in one router

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCheung

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
HK
Can I do the HSRP in one 36xx router? e.g

E1 E2
| |
| |
|----------|
| Router | HSRP
|----------|
|
|
E3

Why? HSRP is for having two router running where one is active and one is standby. Or you set up HSRP groups and then you can load balance between the two groups while one is standing by for the other.

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Thanks Mike,

Since I will subscribe two ethernet Internet access from one ISP, I concern the links availibility rather than the routers and I only got one 36xx router. So can I do it in one router?

Thanks

HSRP is still not what you want to concentrate on. Different mechanisms are in place for different purposes. As Mike mentioned, HSRP is for load balancing and hardware redundancy. You should be more concerned at maintaing your BGP connection for example, so that if one session is lost with an ISP it will automatically kick over to the other link.

Give us the details of how you are connected to these providers. Then we can suggest a "best of the situation" config. Regards,

Don

E1 E2
| |
| |
|----------|
| Router | HSRP
|----------|
|
|
E3

Yes you can,it will also enable you to load balance across the your interfaces(inf). You must have like for like protocols running on these inf's and these inf's must have interdomain routing(just able to see each other)which I think you will have since you are experimenting, so try this configuration.

Router(config-if)#standby ip <cr> :this will enable HSRP
Router(config-if)#standby ip
A.B.C.D Hot standby IP address <cr>
In case you didn't know it each inf will know it is the active inf so each address you supply will be it's standby. .....Peace

Obewan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back