Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hsrd yahoo redirect Malware or Homeland Security Redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

azpghnoclj

Technical User
Oct 7, 2009
US
Recently I thought I was infected with malware because all links on the Yahoo home page were redirecting me to urls prefixed with hsrd then would resolve to the correct page. I used all the tools I know of to see search and destroy the malware no luck. After some research I can’t find a good description of this other than Yahoo and Homeland Security maybe in bed together. I had multiple people on different secure networks in different states validate they have and see the hsrd redirects so can somebody confirm this is not malware then what is it?

For me all links have the hsrd. prefix [ at a guess Homeland Security Re-Direct ], but being in the UK they do not redirect anywhere or show an interstitial page/URL

However, it is nothing particularly new.

Check the date

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I go around Yahoo, and my yahoo pages load just fine, no redirects on my machine.

If it's prefixed it's a part of yahoo, they may be simply shunting traffic to another location, or even using your account as a test bed for new services, happens a lot.

urls read right to left, not left to right as you may think.

so HSRD is a bit of .yahoo which is bit of .com

So when looking up the address, its a bit like

Where is it?
.com
which bit of .com
.yahoo
which bit of yahoo?
.hsrd

No different to
translate.google.com

Doesn't mean it's being intercepted by the department of translations.

Hope this helps

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back