Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP35470A Dat drive -Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

liz1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
IE
I've installed the dat drive with a PCI SCSI adapter and both the SCSI adapter and dat drive are seen OK in device manager. However, if I go to Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Removable Storage - there is an error on the tape drive. I am using ARCserve 2000 and although the tape retensions, and is seen OK - Arcserve cannot format the media and it gives a hardware/media error.

Hi liz,

First things first: what are you using to backup? Removable Storage or Arcserve? I'm assuming Arcserve. In this case, you need to go into the Win2k Services (Start, Run, 'services.msc') stop the RSM service (Removable Storage Manager, might also be listed as just Removable Storage) and then set the startup type to disabled. If you do manage to get the drive working with the RSM still started, then chances are you are going to have problems with your backups. RSM causes major conflicts with other backup software, and is not needed unless you are using the Win2K native backup applet. Sometimes a reboot is required to fully refresh any issues that may have been caused by the RSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back