Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP wireless printer network issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdevil76

Technical User
Jan 20, 2011
US
Please help!

I have an HP Photosmart C7200 series printer. It worked great on our home network while it was hooked directly to the main desktop computer in the home. We could print wirelessly from the laptop...., etc. Recently, we moved the main computer out to the kitchen w/ no room for the printer. It still shows up in my network map, but status is off line. Does it have to hard wired to one computer in the network to be online??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From the quick glance over the manual... No it does not have to be attached to a PC for it to work...

BUT... the old LINK to the Printer will have to be changed to the new location... as the old link points to your Kitchen PC, which does not have the printer attached anymore...

you will first need to set the IP address of the Printer to be located in your home network...

here is the manual to said printer:

download and study it, it will tell you how to change the IP's and hook up to the network in general...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I think the proper answer to this question:
"Does it have to hard wired to one computer in the network to be online??"

would have been YES - the way YOU set it up. But no in general as Ben said.

You severed the printer as being shared from that computer when you disconnected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back