Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Vectra VL420MP won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb63640

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
Hubby's Vectra was fine until it powered off during use this AM. MB looks fine, no bad caps that I can see. Fans are spinning, but I can't seem to ID the beeps in AMI Bios.

During the POST process, there are two little sequences of almost music, followed by three beeps that are several seconds in duration.

My first thought was bad PSU, but I can't get a spare until Monday to try, so I was wondering what you techies thought I could look at over the weekend. I have spare memory, HD, video cards to swap around if needed.

Try clearing/resetting the cmos - usually a jumper on the mobo - or remove the battery for a while otherwise.

If that does not work I would guess the problem is either video card or RAM, most likely RAM with multiple beeps such as you describe. Try reseating the existing RAM first, if no go then swap it.

Also HP list the beep codes for various models on their support site

Mulga
Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back