Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Vectra VL Won't Work With SWITCH BOX - Keyboard/Mouse Error!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gplemos

MIS
Mar 13, 2000
US
I just picked up two HP Vectra VL pII 233 machines to build a home network for school. They currently have no operating system on them.

Their part numbers are: D5719N & D5051N

I have a manual switch box that allows me to use the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor for up to 4 PC's.

On two other PC's I use this switch box on it works fine.

When I plug in a cable for the mouse and keyboard on either of the HP machines (The cables are plugged into the switch box) I get a keyboard/mouse not found type error.

(I happen to be using some conversion adapters to make the wires fit. Not sure if this would cause a problem. Doesn't cause a problem on the two other NON-HOP machines)

Is there something I should know about using these machines on a switch box like I have? Something with the HP Keyboard and Mouse that came with the PC's ?

The monitor works fine connected to the switch box on both HP machines, not the mouse/keyboard.

The HP keyboard/mouse work fine when I plug them in directly to the HP machines but not the switch box.

Is there a setting in the BIOS I need to change? Do I need to update the BIOS? How do I know what version of the BIOS I have?

I heard there might be a keyboard voltage issue perhaps? Not sure about this. Anyone who has had a similar problem with this and found a resolution please contact me!

HELP!!

Sometimes switches just don't cut it and the mainboard/BIOS won't recognize it.

However, I would put my money on the adapters. I see LOTS of problems with adapters. I once saw a mouse that was warped for overheating after being used with an adapter. The wiring is sometimes a little different depending on the mouse and adapter. It might seem like it's just a straight-foward hardwired connection, but there is some thought behind it. So those adapters can cause problems.

Well then.. I'll see if I can go score a set of direct wires and see how that goes, anyone else?

The HP Vectra VL 400 has a security feature that will check each port upon boot. The keyboard port has 5V enabled anytime the pc is plugged into the wall outlet. Now, if your kvm cabling uses a shared 5V line for both keyboard and mouse (many do, either w/cabling or internally), upon bootup the cpu will sense 5V at the mouse port, the security light will be lit and it will cease to boot furthur. I don't think you can disable this feature but you can pull the 5V pin at the mouse connector as it probably gets its power from the kvm. What is the kvm manufacturer of your switch? I have a lot of experience in the kvm area, maybe I can help. HP has a note on their website about this after I pointed out the problem last year.

Long term you'll be better off with KVM. More expensive for the box and cables but the difference will show in the future with no dirty contacts to create video problems.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back