Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp v1910 (3com baseline 2928-SFP config)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickoman

Technical User
Apr 10, 2006
CA
Hello,

My current setup is a 24 port d-link switch and an 8 port 3com gigabyte unmanaged switch linked together. I've just got two 3com baseline 2928-SFP switches to replace them and I have never configured these managed devices before.

What would be the best way to link them together ? I think I need to trunk a port from each but i am not sure. I red the manual, but it's not very clear for me.

And also, how can I set the system time manually (no NTP sync) so that it's still set after a reboot ?

thanks

Christian

I believe all the 3Com Baseline switches are similar. I have used several over the years with different results. The firmware sucks! It seems every time I purchased one for a client, there were issues, then it was discontinued. Even with the 3Com replacements I had problems. Now that HP owns 3Com, I don't want to have anything to do with them anymore. HP assigned all new model numbers to the 3Com product. So I guess they really want to bury the 3Com name!

NTP - none, you have to reset Date/Time manually, if there is a power failure.
You can link them using copper or fiber. How far apart are they? You only need to config port as "trunk" if you are using VLANs. Disable STP on regular switch ports.

3Com's tech writers leave a lot to be desired!

....JIM....

I got some cheap 3coms, too.
2924 and 2928.

- 2924: "old" firmware. Almost no features.
- 2928: that firmware is over 9 MB! Well, in contrast to the old ones, this one is full of features. For a layer 2 switch it is enough. NTP, of course there´s support for it. If you reboot it will happily get its current date back. Just a hint: Do a firmware upgrade after you unpacked them.

Unfortunately, 3Com has not updated any firmware for discontinued product, 3CBLSG24 & 3C16475BS! So there is no way to fix stuff that has bugs...

....JIM....

Thanks for your comments guys.

For the date setting, I'll live with it. I can't sync with an external NTP server as we are going through a proxy. And I can't even configure a gateway in this device so...Anyway, the devices will be connected to a UPS so hopefully, it won't happend often that I loose power on them.

The switches will be one over another in my rack. I am not using VLANs, but I have been recommended to link 2 ports from each and setup LACP in order to benefit from more speed. That's where i'll need trunking also right ?
I guess I'll just play around with it and the manual to understand how to set it up correctly before I put these in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back