Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP-UX unable to get Browser up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxfish2

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I have 6 systems at home.

My Windows 2000 box is up, my linux boxes are up, my Solaris box is up.

But, I can't access websites via my browser...

I CAN ping the outside world, from the command line.

I CAN ftp to the outside world, from the command line.

I can NOT ftp or http via my netscape browser...

I checked /etc/rc.config.d/netconf, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, etc...

The IP address, gateway, DNS servers, netmask, etc. all appear to be correct, but I still can't connect...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

TIA

Joe F.

Sorry, I just installed HP-UX 11i...

Are you connecting through any sort of firewall?

Hi Peter,

No... No Firewall... It a direct connection to the internet...

Inside of /etc/rc.config.d/netconf, I've configured the hostname, IP address, netmask, broadcast, gateway, etc...

nsswitch.conf is configured for "files DNS"...

resolv.conf is configured properly...

hosts is configured to with all of the other machines on my internal network...

Do I need to include the DNS server or gateway in my /etc/hosts file? I haven't tried that yet!

What's funny, is that I can browse webpages from all of my own machines (I have a webserver running, on each of my other machines), but I can't get to anything beyond my own DSL gateway...

Again, I'm not running a firewall, or a proxy server at this point... I don't use any of my machines, for anything other than training purposes, and have very little to lose if I'm hacked, or if a virus is installed... In fact, I routinely rebuild each of my machines, for practice, and to try new things...

Joe F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back