Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP to stop making pc's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....to focus on software???? What software do they even make, not counting printer drivers??? I must be living under a mushroom.

Personally, I never liked the HP desktops at all. They were loaded with crapware that made them run 35% slower than they would with a clean O.S. install AND when you took them apart, you often had to remove multiple items to get to the power supply or memory (non-easy-to-service designs).

I guess I would say that I shed more blood in HP cases and shed more sweat on figuring out exactly which screws had to come out to free the removable media bay so I could get to the XYZ............

They are planing on buying a UK software firm (Autonomy), But I am unfamiliar with what they make. I like the article in the link. I have one issue with it. "The transformation planned by Mr Apotheker mirrors that of IBM, which dropped out of its traditional hardware business over the past decade."

What is he talking about? IBM still makes hardware, just not PC's, or laptops. They produce the most servers and cash registers in the world. And they are the 2nd largest software maker, behind Microsoft. Do they have anyone proofread, and check facts?

Odd. I would have thought a large percentage of the population is now buying computers every 1 to 2 years.

As far as software HP does make some image software for its printers, and some cameras etc... but I don't see them going full swing into software development.

When they bought out Palm it was in a decaying spiral. Nobody was buying there PDAs because there were better options out there, and their smart phones where too expensive. That hasn't changed that much. The devices that use WebOs are really bad both in design and performance. They are leftover Palm rejects that very very few people are actually using.

All other mobile devices made by HP to my knowledge use some form of Windows CE/Mobile.

However, what they are saying basically is that they want to develop WebOs and try to get other hardware makers to use it in their devices? Why? Who would want to? WebOs hasn't exactly gotten positive reviews in the recent devices its being used on.

Its a very strange move for HP. I would have thought the computer market was certainly more stable than that.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Meh - I don't believe the article. Maybe the author just made the story up???!!! You know - deadline looming and no story. Ha.

Seems all too bizarre that they would just abandon a laptop/desktop/tablet line that sells X million per year. If they aren't profitable selling them, that's a different issue. But if you're selling a lot, just make sure you're making money on each one and you're doing better than most companies.

This article shows HP as being number one (in the U.S.) a couple years ago:

Maybe if they started building the PCs in Waziristan they could turn a profit on them with all that sales volume.

So, really, they're going to sell it off to another company, not shut down the operation. It will be like IBM/Lenovo and HPs will live on in spirit.

O.k so they are killing WebOs as well as the barely known Touchpad.
It looked rather interesting from a far, now we'll never know what it could have been.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

The touchpads are going cheap. They were £399 before the announcement: they are now £69!

Of course, killing off all support really messes with their desirability.

Still If I can get one for around 50 or 60 bucks, It may be an interesting thing to play around with.

Phil AKA Vacunita

I loved HP equipment back in the last century - reliable, quality gear - printers and PCs. but in recent times, everything seemed to be designed to barely outlast the warranty - several friends had failures with HP laptops, and defying their advice, I bought a home Tower with matching monitor. The monitor failed (backlight driver) out of warranty, and the power supply in the CPU blew shortly after that. The HP replacement power supply is doing fine, and so is the Samsung monitor that replaced the HP. The factory-installed Vista-64 has been excellent, contrary to the popular reputation.

Fred Wagner

I don't have that much recent experience with consumer models, but HP's business notebooks and desktops have held up pretty well over the last 4 years where I work. Ever since the desktop went to the dc5100 and the notebook to the nx6125, those and subsequent models have been very reliable in my opinion.

@HP:
Sell the consumer business but keep the medium/large business sector in house...pl-e-a-se!

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

We used HP servers back before they merged with Compaq. They were good servers and offered good support. One time, when they couldn't help me figure out why one of my servers kept losing it's RAID configuration, they sent me a brand new server with hard drives.

Nothing like a new CEO to bring some fresh thinking into the organization.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I found it difficult to believe that they would stop making PC's.

Gee, that makes sense. Too bad nobody thought of that earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back