Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Sound Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff18wife

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
I'm hoping someone out there might have an idea as to what the sound problem might be with my HP. I've had this problem since Day 1 and HP is impossible to deal with. When playing sound such as through Musicmatch Jukebox or a web site with sound, most times, I will get this scratchy static and then loose sound all together until I close out and go back in. The instructions that HP gives to fix it would take a genius to decipher.
If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it.

Is this happening only while on the internet? Have you tried a different set of speakers? Does a music cd play correctly? Do your games/programs music play correctly? You should boot pressing F8 frequently and at the boot menu select safe mode. After booting right click my computer and select properties - device manager. Check each hardware item for duplicates, removing devices that have multiples, or that are not installed on your system, bypassing the system devices is ok. Remove all multimedia sound devices. Reboot the system allowing it to reload all the correct drivers for your sound system. Check the sound quality. Since this has been happening since day 1, I suspect this will not help. I am assuming you have onboard sound. You may need to replace the motherboard.

i know this sounds realy dumb but were you given the corect leads for the speakers. i had a similar problem untill i found that the leads suplied with the computer were incorrect, and in the incorrect ports, for the device setup. this was not my fault but i just followed the instructions supplied by HP. what type of HP is it and how old?

To denutz:
This happens either when I'm on the Internet, i.e., pages with sound or when I'm playing downloaded music on MusicMatch Jukebox. Those are the 2 main times that I have problems. Also, e-mail with stationary that plays music.

MRJohnston:
I'm not sure if they are the correct leads but they are what came with the computer which I bought new on 1/2/01. It is the HP Pavilion 8562.

I have a friend who has the 8565 (I think) and doesn't have this problem. I have tried the HP Community Forum where I received replies from HPTechs but the instructions they gave were too complicated to follow.

Thanks! :)

If it's possible, can you post the HP replies here? Someone may be able to translate into English!

It might be useful to know if music CDs play ok or not. How about .WAV files? You know, the opening and closing sounds for Windows, etc... Do they play ok?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

paulwood - I'm not sure if I can post the HP replies here since it's been a while since I've been on that site. I could go back and try to find them but I doubt they are still there.

G0AOZ - CD's seem to be ok so far and .wav's also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back