Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Server Room - Temperature Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronBeau

MIS
Jan 29, 2008
US
I was wondering what the Yo-Yo Temperature Effect has on server.

To be more specific, our server room is also shared by two employees at this point in time. One in the IT department and the other in Accounting. Every morning the accounting woman arrives approximately 1 hour earlier than the IT guy. When she arrives, she turns the heat in the server room up to 82 degrees F (NO JOKE!!!!). And when the IT guy comes in he turns it down to 64.

This battle goes back and forth. And sometimes if the accountant stays late, she forgets to turn the heat back down. I know that these employees shouldn't be in the server room, but unfortunately we are stuck with this situation for the next two months.

So my question is, what effect does this have on our 8 HP servers? The servers are all coming up close to end of life in my book (4 and 5 years old).

Thank you

Are you running the servers at high or low voltage?
How big is the room?

If memory serves the HP specified operating range for a server is between 10C and 35C.

Check the environment settings using the System Management Homepage to see how close the servers are getting to their shutdown thresholds.

Neill

Depending on the model, if they get too hot they should auto shut down.

Martin

Don't know what your hardware is, but most modern servers can tweak their own fan speeds to help compensate for temp changes - my HP proliants and IBM X series servers all sound like 747s when they start up, but the firmware spools the fans down slowly as they boot.

I'm in Brazil where the temperatures regularly hit mid 40s (115f or so). Our office air conditioning isn't switched on over night or weekends, and on some mornings the office can be stifling. An hour later it's in the low 20's (about 68f), and in 7 years I have never had a server suffer from any heat issues.

People where I work would normally get fired for that sh#%$!! on the spot!

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back