Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP ScanJet 2710 & Windows Image Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony72000

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2002
GB
Hope someone can help with this as it's driving me mad.

I have contacted HP support and all they say it should work.

I am running Windows Vista Business 64-bit and I am trying to use a ‘Windows Image Acquisition’ (WIA) driver to scan. I downloaded the basic driver from their website and the system loads the driver OK and is recognised in the device manager, but it isn’t listed on the available scanners when I try to scan, either using Windows fax & scan or Adobe Acrobat.

It did work once, but I loaded the full TWAIN driver and decided I didn't want it, so I uninstalled it again but it seemed to take both driver packages and now the basic WIA driver will not work.

Is there a way of resetting WIA?

Is there any problem in Services with "Windows Image Acquisition" or any of the Dependencies?

Is System Restore, or more to the point, concerning Twain Drivers, the Driver Roll Back feature an option for you?

Does the Scanner work manually to scan something?

Have you tried uninstalling third party programs that have the "Acquire" function, and then reinstalling them, maybe if the scanner is setup they may discover it after an install?

Have you tried using the "Scanners and Camera" Wizard to add the device?

Are there any helpful tips via "Add or remove a scanner" in the Help and Support program on the Start Menu?

You could try the System File Checker program.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

All services for WIA are running OK.

Can't use system restore, this has been disabled.

The full feature driver (that shows as TWAIN) works fine, but I want to use the WIA.

Tried unstalling Adobe Acrobat and Windows Fax & Scan. Still no scanner.

Tried to add the scanner manualy in the chardware section of the control panel, but again the scanner is not list as available to install. Even looking for driver package just give me a black list of available scanners.

Tried running SFC, no problems there.

This may sound crazy but have you tried to hook up the HP to a different USB port?

reason: Windows will recognize the device as a different one and will install the appropriate drivers once again...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Tony,
Have you tried searching thru the system registry and deleting all instances of both the driver and the device?

Then try re-installing. I deal with 10-12 scanners of various makes and models on a regular basis. They can be a real pain in the butt.

Thanks for the reply's guys...

It was one of my first thoughts to try another USB port, but still no luck.

I've also tried removing all registry entries to the scanner (one was a right pain and had to take ownership to the key) but still no luck.

The full feature TWAIN driver works fine, but not this one.
I have even tried plugging it into a 32-bit version of Vista and it does works, but HP are insisting it has been fullung tested on a 64-bit OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back