Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP SAN 2312i

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2006
US
So we purchased a iscsi san and we want to determine 100% that the iscsi port are that or truly ethernet ports? We know it has mgmt ports per controller but we are puzzled?

Thanks,
John

iSCSI is SCSI over IP. Typically you're running iSCSI over copper ethernet cables, which in turn makes it less expensive to provision (including cabling, HBAs, and switches) than fibre channel solutions. The downside is that FC is (currently) faster than iSCSI. Once we get into 10Gb iSCSI the balance will shift, at least for a little while.

In summary, yes those are ethernet ports and they are also iSCSI ports.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

nice, i did finally realize this after going through setup, however now I'm stuck on iSNS server setup and each volume on vdisk is on controller A. I left setting on auto for that but did not split it up over A/B controllers.

I'm not familiar with the particular model that you're using, but I know that on some of the older, more entry model FC model arrays from HP that the controllers were for redundancy only, meaning that one controller was always idle unless there was a failure. That may still be the case.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back