Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp Recovery Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igymann

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2004
US
Not sure where to post but o'well.
Hello,

My Vista crashed and I decided to run the recovery manager. I backed up all the files and went through the 8 hour process. Now when I try to restore my backup files I get this error.

"This file is not a valid backup. The file may be corrupt empty or part of a set of CD DVD s. Please delete the corrupt or empty file or select the first CD DVD of the set to begin the restore"

Can anyone please help?

All my files end with .stc, I have 61 one of them.

PS: For some wierd reason my recovery partition came back as Windows XP.

It is hard to connect a file extension of .stc with any backup software, or even with any Vista program. Was this file extension created by HP's software?

"The HP Recovery Manager restores the PC to the original licensed operating system. If the operating system was upgraded to Windows Vista from XP, use the recovery discs to restore the PC back to its original XP factory settings. After the PC is restored to its original condition, it can be upgraded to Vista once again".

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP Backup and Recovery Manager

Usually the backup option will create a folder on the C: drive named something like "backup" or similar and install Windows and all the programs you had on the the computer.

You have to choose the option that includes a backup as opposed to a "destructive reinstallation" without a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back