Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP ProLiant ML350 P410i array controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuganProIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2012
US
I am getting ready to purchase a new server and we have decided on the HP ProLiant ML350 G6, E5620. For the array controller, is it advisable to use the P410i array controller embedded on they system board or is it advisable to purchase an additional Smart Array controller. Any input would be appreciated...

The P410i will work perfectly adequately if all you need is internal storage and the cabling is already done for you which is always nice.
You might want to add som cache RAM and a battery module to enhance performance depending what the server comes with.

Neill

I agree with Neill, the P410i should handle the internal drives without any problems. However, if you have to get one, I'd consider a flash-backed cache module. Once the battery goes bad, and it will, you will lose the perfomance the cache module provides (writes).

...especially if you plan on keeping the server running for more than 3 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

According to the HP Product Bulletin the machines come with the following options

Entry - P410i/Zero RAM
Base - Either 256MB no battery or 512MB with battery (although it contradicts itself later and has both Base models with 256MB no battery - weird)
Performance - 1GB flash

Obviously if you go for the build to order models or the Entry level you can add bits as required.

512MB flash backed cache is approx $429, battery backed is $299.
I didn't think there was such a large difference.

What HP might offer on their web site I haven't looked at.

Battery life is very inconsistent, I've had servers that the battery has lasted 5 years, some 2, and others only a few months.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back