Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Proliant G4 Series Servers - Two Beeps on POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechP74

Technical User
Aug 10, 2007
We recently purchased a new Proliant ML310 G4 server from HP. Upon arrival the server would beep twice before booting. I have been around computers for a long time but new to working with servers. I always thought two beeps on POST were bad. I have had an HP tech out here and he has since replaced the array control 128MB card and battery and the motherboard. We still get two beeps right before Windows loads.

Initially the HP tech called their service area and was told it's a configuration problem. He couldn't tell me what that problem was though. Now he is saying another tech at HP has told him that it is ok with the two beeps. Basically it's telling me POST is over and the system is going to start up. He said this was only for the G4 series servers.

Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to go live with a new server if it's bad. I am just not confident that the two beeps are ok. Firmware is up to date.

All of our compaq servers, dl360, 380, ml370, 570, G1, 2, G3, G4 do that---it is normal. I think it may have something to do with the boot order, and cannot remember. My company does nothing but server hardware, and when I first started here, I wondered the same thing myself. I have also figured out that HP has NO idea about what they are talking about.

Burt

Thanks Burt! I have been searching for an answer for over a week. It is frustrating when the HP tech that visits our site doesn't even have an answer for me. Makes me wonder about my Care Package.

Ha ha---we take care of customers that drop HP for that reason...where are you located?

Burt

The office out of which I work is in St. Louis...let me know if you want to find out about different server support...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back