Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Proliant 350 G3 Raid 5 rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismarh

MIS
Aug 17, 2007
US
We are planning upgrade from 3x36gb to 3x146 in RAID 5.
I have additional 72Gb drive for image dump.
I created a ghosted image off existing RAID 5 array on 72gb drive and will dump it on new array with new drives.
Can I leave old array intact in configuration, just remove the drives from the system?
If I disconnect 3 old drives in Raid 5 array, can I connect them back and will the system see them as old Array if the proccess of reimaging new RAID 5 doesnt work.

You can Extend the Array while the server is online.

To do this you would:

Remove one 36GB Drive and replace with a 146GB.
Allow RAID to re-build.
Remove 2nd 36GB Drive, and replace with 2nd 146GB.
Allow RAID to re-build.
Remove last 36GB Drive, and replace with final 146GB.
Allow RAID to re-build.

Using ACU, Expand the array - I can't remember exactly how to do it, but its not rocket science.
However... Expanding the array takes ages...(probably days) and the chance that you can run a backup at the same time I should think is pretty slim.

I may stand corrected, and nodoubt someone will if I'm wrong... but I believe part of the Array configuration is stored on the drives, so if you power down, remove the 3 drives (assuming they don't contain you're OS), fit the new ones, start the Server, run ACU, create the new Array, and copy/ghost the data back, you should be fine. Reverse that with the 36GB Drives if it all goes belly up - of course if you're putting the 36's back in, don't re-create the array, because that will lose your data!

BUT... don't take my word for that - get someone else to confirm it, because I'm honestly, not 100% sure about it...

Also, before doing anything like this... make certain you have a complete, successful and verified backup!!!
Over cautiousness never hurt anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back