Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Printer causing port security issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnilu

Technical User
Aug 3, 2004
US
I have an HP LaserJet 5550 that is regularly getting a port security violation when connected to and older Catalyst 5509 switch.

The following is what is what the switch is seeing. Has anyone seen this before, and can you explain what might be happening.

Port Security Secure-Src-Addr Last-Src-Addr Shutdown
----- -------- ----------------- ----------------- --------
7/7 enabled 00-01-e6-a1-8a-35 01-e6-a1-8a-35-08 No

Your assistance is appreciated.

When I do an internal vulnerability scan on a network, printers always show up as a "risk"; they have open ports for SMTP, web interfaces, whatever.

I always footnote those with "There's nothing to hack on a printer".

I would just see if there's a way to "turn off" the security testing of that port, as long as you are *positive* that there will never be a PC plugged into that port; that it would be an "output only" device (printer).

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Don't believe there is nothing to hack on a printer. Especialy if it has a hard drive. But thanks for the response. Setting the port of output only is a great idea.

Enlighten me, what's to hack on a printer?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Some people actually think that just because a shared networked printer has a networkcard installed it can be used as a gateway to hack other PC's in the network. HP's networkcards or printservers are not like a switch or router. They will not let one user connect to another but both can access the printer and actually share files there like a FTP server if you like.
Best joke ever was when the authorities called and asked if their internal system could be hacked via a parallel port and into the networkscard or harddrive of a printer... [bigglasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back