Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Photo Smart 3310 - Cant Print In Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaySuave

Technical User
Apr 27, 2009
US
Even when I only want to print in black, the printer will not work due to one or more of the color cartridges being empty. This is a pretty shallow tactic by HP to insure their cartridges are purchased even if they will not be used. The cartridges this printer takes are of the type “HP 0XL”. On each cartridge there is a chip called a “Smart Tek Chip”. This chip most likely senses the presence of ink and relays it to the machine. There are four contacts on each chip, I believe if two of the contacts are jumpered, the printer will think there is ink in each cartridge and allow the user to print in black. The thing is, I don’t want to perform any trial and error to find out which contact to jumper for fear of damaging the printer.

This is a link to a picture of the chip.

I was wondering if someone out there can confirm or reject my theory of jumping the contacts on the chip? Has anyone ran into this problem and successfully spoofed a (HP) printer to detect ink a cartridge? Any other ideas on what I can do to avoid buying color ink even though I don’t need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back