Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Pavillion ze4500 not recognizing DVD/CD Drive(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
Gentlemen;

On this older but very useful laptop running XP SP3 it no longer recognizes the internal CDROM drive. So, not wanting to pay to replace it, I purchased a Samsung External USB DVD/RW drive. When I first plug it in the drive is briefly recognized but very quickly disappears. I've tried every thing I can thing of to remedy this including trying yet a different external DVD USB drive (same symptom). This leads me to think there is something wrong with the laptop or XP itself.

I'm at a loss so if anyone has any idea what might be happening please respond and provide some guidance and/or ideas?

Thanks in advance. [nosmiley]

If this is a Dell laptop look for the Dell application called QuickSet. This application has features outside of the OS that allow you to turn the power off to certain hardware when the laptop is in different states.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back