Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Pavillion DV8 Laptop touch buttons issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacona

Technical User
Jun 11, 2009
GB
Dear All,

I am having an intermittent problem with my HP Laptop.

An otherwise great laptop, it occasionally gives me problems.

I have contacted HP support but I have received no answer for 5 months.

The problem is, and this happens only occasionally, I log in and then the touch buttons are activated(Not real buttons but work on touch tech), deactivated constantly...
The touch buttons are:
Wirless (switches wireless on and off) This is the first to start switching on and off.

Treble/Bass buttons turning up/down both of those.

Volume button turning volume up/down
It does not do it for the other touch buttons(media centre)

I have to switch off the laptop, restart does not work, this is the only way I have figured out to fix the problem, it then behaves normally.

I have used the preinstalled HP software to keep my drivers upto date and have used it to run diagnostics.

This has not helped.

It is a case of updating the firmware?

What are my options?

It doesn't help pressing those buttons either when this is going on...just seems to make it worse...sometimes stops it.

This problem carries on until you switch off the laptop...
Then doesn't occur for the next few boot ups???

Please help....[sadeyes]

Thank you[smile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

What security software are you running? Have you tried disabling any firewalls/antiviruses, etc, temporarily, to see if it runs w/o issue while that is disabled?

If you narrow it down to that, it could be you need to set some exceptions around the software behind those buttons - or else change the settings in the security app, or get a different app altogether.

If it isn't software related at all, then it could very well be a flaky touch strip that you're using for the controls.

Hi Kjv1611,

Thank you for your reply [smile]

I am using AVG antivirus, and windows firewall, and my wireless router has a hardware firewall.

Should I take it to the company I bought it from for repairs, if touch sttrip is problem.

I can not seem to find the software that runs these touch buttons.

Would it be in the BIOS?

Or would it be software within Windows 7?
I am running Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 bit) (without service pack 1, but installed service pack 1 last night)

Thanks for all your help[smile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

AVG isn't usually one to out and out block an application as a false positive, but you could always check to be sure. Windows firewall especially shouldn't be an issue either.

For the software, it wouldn't hurt to go to hp's website, search for drivers and downloads for your model or serial #, and find the touchstrip software there.

If you purchased this second hand (not through HP or an HP retailer), then there's a good chance the software just didn't get installed correctly, or got skipped altogether. Oftentimes, software is not required for that sort of thing to work, but sometimes it is - or at least for it to function fully.

After that, if still not working, then yes, I'd definitely go back to where you bought it, particularly if under warranty. No sense digging into it yourself if it's under warranty - unless you're of the curious sort, yourself. [wink]

I found your exact problem on productwiki.com - if not your post, others are having the same problem. you may have to work around it with on-screen controls....

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back