Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Omniback vs Veritas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigF1

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2003
CA
I'm looking for information about HP Omniback vs Veritas Exec to build a comparison list. We run about 60 servers NT 4 and 2000 and backup 90 gig + in our weeklies plus incrementals daily.

What I've got so far:

Veritas
tar tape format
access database??
5 tape formats
Reads ARCServe format
Can use NT backup or Winzip
Compaq partner
Local support offices
Newsletter
Newsgroup
A storage software company
Online support site
Training webcasts
Higher price due to individual agent costs

HP
proprietary tape format
proprietary database
1 tape format - “can’t be relied upon for other formats”
Doesn’t read ARCServe format – we would need to keep old system around (ARCServe 2000 w DLT)
Can’t use NT backup
Primarily a Hardware/systems company
Costs less

Veritas Backup Exec 9.0

Uses MTF (Microsoft Soft Tape format) Can be read by NT Backup. It does not use the TAR format.

Uses MSDE by default for its (OPEN) database, but can be installed into an existing MSSQL instance.

Microsoft is a very larger user of Backup Exec.

Total cost to owner is very low. Compared to Veritas's Net Backup product. Very easy to setup and use.

Can easily manage 60 servers.

Can support an array of Tape hardware and Tape formats. 8mm,DLT,AIT,SDLT,SAIT,LTO.

Support for SAN Attached Tape libraries.

Agent support for:
NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Unix.
Exchange 5.5 and 2000,
SQL 2000
Sharepoint Portal server.

I agree, I have used both and BE 9 is the way to go. We backup to disk over a GB ethernet connection and doing some testing BE 9 is easier and faster. We get usually about 1.2 GB per minute using BE 9. The other day I tested OMNIBACK and it took approx 42 min to backup 28GB of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back