Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanuel29

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2006
US
I have an HP laptop, it will not turn on with the battery. I bought a new battery to see if that solved the problem but no luck. The laptop does not even turn on without the battery and plugged in to the power adapter. Any ideas???

unplug, remove the battery, press the power button for 30 seconds, leave battery out, plug in and try and boot up. Anything?

You may have a bad ac adapter (any light on it?) or a loose power jack on the mobo.

When I have the battery in the laptop, it gives me a blinking amber light. When I have no battery and the AC connected nothing happens. no lights no nothing

jmanual29,
I hate to restate the obvious, but did you already try what macten88 suggested?

The sleep issue is common in many HP, Compaq, and Dell laptops. The troubleshooting step that often works to bring them back to life is what was suggested - remove the battery and unplug it from AC. Hold the power button down for at least 30 seconds which forces an internal reset/power drain. Then without putting the battery back in, plug in AC and try to turn it on.

You'd be surprised how often that works (I know I still am). In addition, if you find that this problem happens a lot on the same laptop, then it's a bad battery. The battery is what probably caused it to lock up in sleep mode to begin with.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg,

You should write a FAQ with this information. Then we all can point to it as needed.

wahnula

I have tried macten88 advice and nothing happens. Any other suggestiongs???

jmanuel29,

Check the output voltage at the tip of the AC adapter with a multimeter (cheap and plentiful and a MUST for DIY guys) to make sure there is not a stress break inside the wire coming to/from the power brick. A faulty adapter could cause the problem you described, as even when plugged into AC the battery would be drained.

Tony

wahnula,
Appreciate the suggestion, but in case you haven't noticed, I've written several since joining the site in 2001. I don't have as much time as I used to. Perhaps you'd like to write your first one? This might be a good starter!
[wink]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back