Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP not booting up after memory install....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchshin

MIS
Dec 6, 2000
US
I added 256mb to the existing 256 in my Hp Pavillion. When I powered up, the amber light came on for a minute and then went out. The green light never lit. The computer has power but never booted up. Nothing ever appered on the monitor. I removed the new memory and am still having the same problem. I checked all conections to see if anything was loose or disconnected.
Any ideas what might have happened or a resolution?
Thanks.

Do you have low humidity? could you have given it a static zap while you had the case open? Make sure all the connections to the motherboard are snug on both ends - you might have disturbed one getting to the RAM. Also, make sure the RAM is fully seated - remove and reinstall, watching very carefully. Try both of the RAM modules in another PC where it's compatible, see if it works OK there.
If the power supply is modular, disconnect it and reseat it.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

There's a good chance you may have bumped something. Reseat all your cables and cards. If that doesn't fix it, check each memory slot very carefully. There may be a pin that's been broken or bent. If things look good there, I'd try resetting the BIOS. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back