Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Nic teaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukshug1

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
DE
I have A DL380 with an additional HP dual nic installed; the two internal and the two add on ports are teamed using the hp teaming software in an nlb setup. The stitch they are connected to (a cat 6500) is set up as an ether channel for the 4 ports. Every now and again some clients will lose sight of the server but others will work fine. The server is running all the latest drivers.

Any thoughts on what may be happening and how I can stop the server from disappearing for some clients.

You don't mention your operating system, but have you checked the relevanty log files for errors reported? Does your network switch report any errors either? I presume the speed/duplex is forced on both network card and switch ports?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

If you've got a 6500 cant you just throw a GigE adapter in the server and get rid of the hassle of etherchannel.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Personally, I would not get rid of it even if i did go Gigabit because poviding your connections are on separate switches, you still have the failover of a NIC or switch failing and the server will still work...

With Gigabit you could at least replace the 4 connections with two though...

"It's true, its damn true!"

I suppose it depends on what the server is doing. In my eyes though, as reliable as a DL380 is i still think its more likely to fail than a Cisco 6500.

As we're on the point of eliminating points of failure though how many 6500's / switches do you have? Also, how fault tolerant does this server need to be - if your putting provisions in for everything just loadbalance the application/service that your running as the server/something will fail eventually.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back